Latest Bulletins See All →
Recent Files See All →
Military Weaponization: History of Psychological Warfare and Abuse
Darius - Jun 10 2012 06:55 PM
Earthquake Statistics supporting the Esoteric Cyclopedia
Darius - Apr 20 2012 12:13 PM
Conclusion of mankind rests on mankind (HD Wallpaper)
Darius - Apr 08 2012 02:35 PM
Inactivity will lead to your destruction. (HD Wallpaper)
Darius - Apr 08 2012 02:31 PM
Mystery Religions, Secret Societies, and Esoteric Allegories (CD Quality)
Darius - Mar 29 2012 09:08 PM
Recent Bulletin Comment
3-3-13; 3-11-13 North Korean war games.
Darius - Mar 11 2013 06:36 AM
- Esoteric Videogames Brainwashing The Youth And Adults Who Waste Their Time Playing
Condemned : Criminal Origins
TripolonX 1973 - Mar 03 2013 05:52 PM
As mentioned, 2012 was the year to cry wolf. See evidence of earthquake death tolls of 20...
Darius - Feb 15 2013 06:42 PM
[b]Meteorite explosion over Russia injures hundreds[/b] 15 - 02 - 13 http://www.guardia...
Raoul - Feb 15 2013 09:28 AM
SOLOMON's (America) DESTRUCTION http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usc...
Darius - Feb 10 2013 11:25 PM
2013-02-03 Superbowl's Allegorical fertility dance and half time blackout
Darius - Feb 06 2013 12:08 AM
[quote name='Guest' timestamp='1360093616'] [b]American Sniper author Chr...
Darius - Feb 06 2013 12:03 AM
[b]American Sniper author Chris Kyle shot dead in Texas [/b] 02-02-13 [url="http://www....
Raoul - Feb 05 2013 11:46 AM
[b] France Rafale jets target Gao in eastern Mali[/b] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-eu...
Darius - Jan 13 2013 01:40 PM
[b]Mega-earthquake "warnings"[/b] http://www.sgvtribune.com/breakingnews/ci_2235...
Darius - Jan 10 2013 11:17 PM
Recent Article Comments
- The Intro to the DCS & Its Unveiled Secrets
One of the most informative books I have ever read. +CT
Class-Teal - Jun 29 2012 11:32 PM
Books of the Arqanum
- Underground Monasteries for...
- Remnants of Ancient Technol...
- Point Within The Circle
- Planned Floodings of Water...
- Higgs Boson Found Again!
- The Secrets You Seek, The A...
- Connexions in Esoteric His...
- Regenerative Great Work (p2)
- The Great Work
- Abovestanding Propaganda an...
- Connecting Veiled Facts
- Rosicrucian and Masonic Con...
- Ancient Connexions
- Introducing the Rabbit Hole
- Welcome Chapter of the Intr...
- All Men are Created Equal
- The Intro to the DCS &...
- Yod, He, Van, He. Tetragram...
- Light, Ascension, and Geome...
- The Square and Compass
- The Temple is the Universe
- Secrets of Masonry's Or...
- Ancient Christ Complex - Co...
- Genetic Engineering Allegory
- Esoteric Christian Mysteries
- The Essenes and the Pharise...
- The Druidical, Gothic, Grec...
- The Persian Mysteries
- The Hindu Mysteries
- Plutarch was an Initiate
- Esoteric Concealment of Tru...
- Trail of the Deepest Contro...
- Ancient Secrecy, its Origin...
- Solar Officer
- Antipodean Controllers
- esoteric cyclopedia
- ancient connexions
- symbols of congress
- intro to the dcs
- truth in fiction
- the beginning
- rising earthquakes
- animatrix allegories
- plutarchs initiation
- increased earthquakes
- 7th letter
- perfecting man via genetics
- collective mysteries
- earthquake evidence
- g in masonry
- Profane Public
- introduction to the dcs
- seek the ruses
- western esotericism
- comparative mythology
- genetic engineering allegory
- origins of the mysteries
- truth in antiquated books
- ancient mysteries
- Profane Masons
- christian mysteries
- egyptian mysteries
- ultimate goal
- fiction in truth
- point within a circle
- hindu mysteries
late 14c., "persons who dwell on the opposite side of the globe;" 1540s as "place on the opposite side of the earth," from L. antipodes "those who dwell on the opposite side of the earth," from Gk. antipodes, pl. of antipous "with feet opposite (ours)," from anti- "opposite" + pous "foot" (see foot); thus, people who live on the opposite side of the world.
Yonde in Ethiopia ben the Antipodes, men that haue theyr fete ayenst our fete. ["De Proprietatibus Rerum Bartholomeus Anglicus," translated by John of Trevisa, 1398]Not to be confused with antiscii "those who live on the same meridian on opposite side of the equator," whose shadows fall at noon in the opposite direction, from Gk. anti- + skia "shadow." Related: Antipodal (adj.); antipodean (1630s, n.; 1650s, adj.).
The Greek word is attested in Plato's dialogue Timaeus, already referring to a spherical Earth, explaining the relativity of the terms "above" and "below":
For if there were any solid body in equipoise at the centre of the universe, there would be nothing to draw it to this extreme rather than to that, for they are all perfectly similar; and if a person were to go round the world in a circle, he would often, when standing at the antipodes of his former position, speak of the same point as above and below; for, as I was saying just now, to speak of the whole which is in the form of a globe as having one part above and another below is not like a sensible man.
The term is taken up by Aristotle (De caelo 308a.20), Strabo, Plutarch and Diogenes Laertius, and was adopted into Latin as antipodes. The Latin word changed its sense from the original "under the feet, opposite side" to "those with the feet opposite", i.e. a bahuvrihi referring to hypothetical people living on the opposite side of the Earth. Medieval illustrations imagine them in some way "inverted", with their feet growing out of their heads, pointing upward.
Exact or almost exact antipodes:
- Christchurch (New Zealand) — A Coruña (Spain)
- Hamilton (New Zealand) — Córdoba (Spain)
- Hong Kong — La Quiaca (Argentina)
- Rafaela (Argentina) — Wuhu (China)
- Padang (Indonesia) — Esmeraldas (Ecuador)
- Palembang (Indonesia) — Neiva (Colombia)
- Tauranga (New Zealand) — Jaén (Spain)
- Valdivia (Chile) — Wuhai (China)
- Whangarei (New Zealand) — Tangier (Morocco)
- Ulan Ude (Russia) — Puerto Natales (Chile)
- Segovia (Spain) - Masterton (New Zealand)
- Xi'an (China) — Santiago, or more precisely Rancagua or San Bernardo (Chile)
- Auckland (New Zealand) — Seville and Málaga (Andalusia, Spain)
- Tianjin (China) — Bahía Blanca (Argentina)
- Shanghai (China)— Salto (Uruguay)
- Taipei (Taiwan) — Asunción (Paraguay)
- Nanjing (China) — Rosario (Argentina)
- Montpellier (France) — Waitangi (Chatham Islands, New Zealand)
- Beijing (China) — Bahía Blanca (Argentina)
Other major cities or capitals close to being antipodes:
- Beijing (China) — Buenos Aires (Argentina); both cities have populations in the millions, and have been twinned since 1983, a few hundred km
- Shanghai (China) — Buenos Aires (Argentina); Buenos Aires is actually closer (~380 km) to the antipode of Shanghai (Salto, Uruguay) than to the antipode of Beijing (Bahía Blanca), the latter being located at ~540 km from Buenos Aires
- Bogotá (Colombia) — Jakarta (Indonesia), ~200 km
- Guayaquil (Ecuador) — Medan (Indonesia), ~220 km
- Phnom Penh (Cambodia) — Lima (Peru), ~220 km
- Dili (Timor-Leste) — Paramaribo (Suriname), ~310 km
- Irkutsk (Russia)— Punta Arenas (Chile)
- Tongchuan (China) — Licantén (Chile)
- Suva (Fiji) — Timbuktu (Mali)
- Jaisalmer (India)— Easter Island
- Cherbourg (France)— Antipodes Islands
- Pago Pago (American Samoa) — Zinder (Niger)
- Barranquilla (Colombia)— Christmas Island (Australia)
- Doha (Qatar) — Pitcairn Island
- Hué and Da Nang (Vietnam)— Arequipa (Peru)
- Manila (Philippines) — Cuiabá (Brazil)
- Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) — Cuenca (Ecuador)
- San Juan (Puerto Rico)— Karratha (Australia)
- Limerick (Ireland) — Campbell Islands (New Zealand)
- Arrecife, Lanzarote (Canary Islands) — Norfolk Island
- Sharm el Sheikh (Egypt) — Rapa Iti (French Polynesia)
- Bangkok (Thailand) — Lima (Peru)
- Quito (Ecuador) — Singapore
- Perth (Australia) — Bermuda
- Montevideo (Uruguay) — Seoul (South Korea)